In 1948, an extension to this important room was completed. A stone from the Sisters of Charity’s founding monastery in Caen, France was:
‘…placed here at the building of the new extension, 1948. ‘Surely the spirit of our Holy Founder loves to linger here in this spot, redeemed by his daughters from the empire of Satan, and consecrated to the glorious work he founded over three centuries ago.’
(Prunty, 2017: 504)
This extension is visible on the above plan from the 1954 survey from W. H. Byrne & Son Architects. It is the area to the right hand side [west] of this drawing.
Interestingly, the survey notes several details about the machinery within this room. For example, the steam machinery seems to be contained within the ‘old’ ironing room, whereas the new extension uses gas irons, with ironing boards ‘bolted to [the] hardwood floor.’
At some point, the extension was given a painted yellow wainscot [not shown in our reconstruction], with plain white walls above as can be seen on the remaining part of the walls today [the red colour is the raw plaster behind the paint].